Le Zinc

Discussions traitant de l'impact du pic pétrolier sur l'économie.

Modérateurs : Rod, Modérateurs

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Re: Le Zinc

Message par energy_isere » 17 avr. 2022, 14:51

Le Zinc se négocie à 4500 dollars la tonne à Shangaï au plus haut depuis 2007
Shanghai zinc price soars to near 15-year high

MINING.COM Staff Writer | April 13, 2022

Shanghai zinc prices rallied to their highest since July 2007 on Wednesday on worries over supply shortages in top consumer China.

The most-traded May zinc contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange rose as much as 5.4% to 28,995 yuan a tonne ($4,554.16), before settling up 3.2% at 28,395 yuan ($4,459.92).

Benchmark zinc on the London Metal Exchange hit $4,521.50, the highest since March 8. Prices of the metal, used to galvanize steel, hit a record high of $4,896 a tonne last month.

“Zinc inventories have drawn down sharply and the situation is worsening for European smelters to keep their margins positive amid fears of another power crisis,” said ANZ analyst Soni Kumari.
https://www.mining.com/zinc-price-soars ... -in-china/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 01 mai 2022, 11:17

Nyrstar annonce qu'il va investir 285 millions de US dollars pour une nouvelle usine d'electrolyse du Zinc En Tasmanie.
Nyrstar to invest $285m in new Australian zinc electrolysis plant
The new facility will utilise the latest technology to bring a 'step change' in the performance of the Zinc Works.

April 29, 2022

Metals group Nyrstar Australia has unveiled plans to invest $285m (around A$400m) to build a new electrolysis plant at its Hobart Zinc Works operations in Tasmania.

The new facility will utilise the latest technology to support a ‘step change’ in the performance of Zinc Works and increase the global competitiveness of Australian zinc.

Furthermore, it will facilitate more recovery of minerals and metals at the Nyrstar Port Pirie facility in South Australia, stated the company.

The project will receive A$50m in funding from the Federal Coalition and A$20m from the Tasmanian government.

The plant will support 500 direct jobs in Tasmania and around 1,600 direct jobs and more than 5,000 indirect jobs across Nyrstar’s Hobart and Port Pirie operations.

It will result in job opportunities for 200 people at the peak of the construction phase.

Work on the plant is expected to be completed by 28 months.

The project has already secured the approval of the Glenorchy City Council as well as the Environment Protection Authority of Tasmania.

Nyrstar vice-president Australian Operations Dale Webb said: “Zinc is a critical mineral for the transition to a low carbon world, prolonging the useful life of steel in buildings, improving the performance of solar cells and playing a vital role in a wide range of industrial and agricultural uses that are critical to livelihoods and the global economy.

“Hobart’s Zinc Works, as it is known locally, has been operating for over 100 years and works with Nyrstar Australia’s Port Pirie multi-metals refining facility to enable greater recovery of minerals and metals that are important to global supply chains.

“Tasmania’s renewable energy means that investment in our Hobart operations is also an investment in lower carbon-zinc production.”

By production volume, the Nyrstar Hobart smelter is said to be one of the largest zinc smelters worldwide.

It is closely integrated with the Port Pirie smelter that processes Hobart’s paragoethite by-product and other leach by-products.
https://www.mining-technology.com/news/ ... inc-plant/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 16 mai 2022, 00:59

Prospect de Zinc au Nord Ouest du Canada, le projet Gayna River project

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/f ... y-staking/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 22 mai 2022, 12:34

suite de ce post du 9 mai 2021 viewtopic.php?p=2318796#p2318796

Osisko Metals cherche à lever 10 millions de dollars Canadien pour financer l'exploration du projet de Zinc-Plomb de Pine point (Canada)
Osisko Metals announces $7.8m bought deal to fund Pine Point, Gaspé exploration

Staff Writer | May 16, 2022 | 12:06 pm Exploration Canada Copper

The Pine Point lead-zinc mine project. Credit: Osisko Metals

Osisko Metals (TSXV:OM; OTC:OMZNF) is planning to raise C$10 million ($7.8m) through a bought deal private placement to fund the exploration of its Pine Point zinc project and newly acquired Gaspé copper project. The financing, involving a syndicate of underwriters led by Eight Capital, comprises the placement of approximately 14.82 million flow-through units of the company at a price of C$0.54 per unit and 4 million flow-through shares priced at C$0.50 each.

Each unit offered consists of one flow-through common share and one-half of a common share purchase warrant that is exercisable at C$0.57 per share for each whole warrant, for a period of 60 months from the offering closing date.

This private placement follows up on Osisko’s financing earlier this year with Osisko Gold Royalties, which saw the company raise C$6.5 million in exchange for a further 1% net smelter returns granted on the Pine Point project.

Pine Point is a zinc and lead mine project located on the south shore of Great Slave Lake in Northwest Territories. Osisko is currently in the midst of updating the project’s preliminary economic assessment by upgrading the resources through infill drilling.

The most recent PEA published in July 2020 defined Pine Point as an 11,250 t/d open pit and underground operation with a mine life of 10 years, during which it would produce an average of 327 million lb. of zinc and 143 million lb. of lead annually.

Current resources at Pine Point include 12.9 million indicated tonnes grading 4.56% zinc and 1.73% lead (6.29% zinc-equivalent) and 37.6 million inferred tonnes grading 4.89% zinc and 1.91% lead (6.8% zinc-equivalent).

The Gaspé project is a former-producing copper mine recently optioned from Glencore, located near Murdochville, Quebec. The company recently released an initial inferred resource estimate for the Mount Copper deposit at the project, using data from historical drilling completed between the 1960s and 2019.
https://www.mining.com/osisko-metals-an ... ploration/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 19 juin 2022, 12:25

suite de ce post du 1er sept 2019 viewtopic.php?p=2287104#p2287104
BMC’s Kudz Ze Kayah polymetallic project in Yukon reaches permitting stage

Staff Writer | June 16, 2022 |

BMC Minerals has reached a significant milestone with regards to the advancement of its proposed Kudz Ze Kayah (KZK) project in Yukon. Both the Canadian and Yukon governments have come to a decision that concludes the environmental and socio-economic assessment process for the project, meaning it can now proceed to the regulatory phase.

KZK is an open pit and underground polymetallic (silver, copper, gold, lead and zinc) mine project situated on the northern flank of the Pelly Mountain Range, about 115 km southeast of Ross River within the traditional territory of the Kaska First Nation. Mining will be centred on the ABM deposit, which contains 18.3 million tonnes of indicated resources grading 0.9% copper, 1.9% lead, 6.3% zinc, 1.4 g/t gold and 148 g/t silver.

The joint government decision was made following indigenous consultations and full consideration of the potential impacts of the KZK project on the Finlayson caribou herd, as well as through the development of varied terms and conditions and additional caribou data analysis.

Land use in the region includes hunting, fishing, and recreation for First Nations, Yukoners and visitors to local tourist spots. As such, the KZK project has the potential to affect social and environmental conditions in the area including temporary changes to watershed drainage, fish and fish habitat, wildlife and wildlife habitat.

BMC has undertaken environmental and socio-economic baseline studies in the area since 1995 to support its project design, and has proposed strategies in the form of design modification, mitigation measures and offsetting packages to reduce or eliminate impacts on the environment.

The project proposal was submitted by BMC to the Yukon Environment and Socio-economic Assessment Board (YESAB) in March 2017, and was later moved towards executive committee screening.

Work will next advance to the permitting phase, which is expected to have a construction period of approximately two years followed by an estimated 10-year mine life.

During production, KZK is expected to produce an estimated annual average of 14,400 tonnes of copper, 106,800 tonnes of zinc and 25,300 tonnes of lead concentrates from processing 2 million tonnes of ore. These concentrates will be transported to the port of Stewart for sale to export markets.

According to company documents, the KZK project is anticipated to inject up to C$720 million in capital expenditures into Canadian and Yukon economies over its life, providing up to 500 construction-related jobs and 400 operational jobs for Kaska Nation, Yukoners and Canadians. The KZK project is expected pay direct taxes and royalties to the federal and Yukon governments in the order of C$620 million.
https://www.mining.com/bmcs-kudz-ze-kay ... ing-stage/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 26 juin 2022, 10:08

Une grosse mine de Zinc et de raffinage de Zinc se termine au Canada (Manitoba), le gisement est épuisé.
Hudbay announces completion of mining activities at 777 after 18 years of steady production

By NS Energy Staff Writer 24 Jun 2022

Closure activities at the 777 mine have commenced and employees and equipment are transitioning to the company’s operations in Snow Lake,
Manitoba

Hudbay Minerals Inc. (“Hudbay” or the “company”) (TSX, NYSE: HBM) today announced that mining activities at the company’s 777 mine in Flin Flon, Manitoba, have concluded after the reserves were depleted following 18 years of steady production. Closure activities at the 777 mine have commenced and employees and equipment are transitioning to the company’s operations in Snow Lake, Manitoba.
The 777 deposit was a large and rich orebody and for many years was the flagship mine of Hudbay’s Manitoba operations. The mine commenced production in 2004 with an initial ten-year mine life, operated steadily and successfully expanded reserves by an additional eight years. After extensive drilling in and around the mine in recent years, no new deposits were identified and the 777 mine hoisted its last skip of ore late last week. The company’s hydrometallurgical zinc facility in Flin Flon will also be closed after more than 25 years of successful operations.
https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/h ... roduction/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 10 juil. 2022, 11:21

Montée en puissance de la mine de Zinc de Aripuanã au Brésil. Production annuelle attendue de 70 000 tonnes de Zinc et 24 000 tonnes de plomb.
Nexa announces Aripuanã zinc mine ramp up

Bruno Venditti | July 5, 2022

Nexa Resources (NYSE: NEXA) said on Tuesday that ramp-up activities at the Aripuanã mine in the state of Mato Grosso, Brazil, have started and the demobilization of construction teams is underway.

Aripuanã consists of three main mineralized zones with an estimated average annual production of 70kt of zinc, 24kt of lead, 4kt of copper, 1.8Moz of silver, and 14.5koz of gold over a life-of-mine of 11 years.

The mine is currently Nexa’s largest investment in Brazil and one of the few zinc projects in the world.

With over 650kt of ore available in stockpiles, which is enough to cover six months of the estimated ramp-up curve, the milling capacity utilization rate is expected to reach an average of 30-40% in Q322 and 70-80% by December 2022. Full production is expected in Q223.

Nexa currently owns and operates other five underground mines — three located in the Central Andes of Peru and two located in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais.

The company was among the world’s top five zinc miners and was also one of the top five metallic zinc producers in 2021, according to Wood Mackenzie.
https://www.mining.com/nexa-announces-a ... e-ramp-up/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 21 août 2022, 11:37

suite de ce post du 18 fevrier 2018 viewtopic.php?p=2266706#p2266706

Possible vente le la mine de Neves-Corvo au sud du Portugal, pour une valeur évaluée à 1 milliard de dollars ?
Lundin explores options for Neves-Corvo mine in southern Portugal

Neves-Corvo mine produced 7,867 tonnes of copper and 20,647 tonnes of zinc in the June quarter

By NS Energy Staff Writer 16 Aug 2022

Neves-Corvo is located in the Alentejo district of southern Portugal. Image representative. Credit: JacquieS from Pixabay.

Lundin Mining has reportedly started discussions with potential advisers to explore options, including sale, for the Neves-Corvo mine in southern Portugal.

A potential sale of the copper and zinc mine may value around €1bn, Bloomberg reported.

Currently, deliberations are underway, and the company may choose to retain the asset, sources familiar with the development told the publication.

The potential sale of the mine is expected to generate interest from rival companies.

According to Lundin Mining website, Neves-Corvo produces copper, zinc and lead concentrates. It is located in the Alentejo district of southern Portugal around 220km southeast of Lisbon.

Lundin added the asset to its portfolio following its merger with EuroZinc Mining in 2006. The underground mine is now operated by Lundin Mining’s Portuguese subsidiary Somincor.

The asset also has copper and zinc plants to process ores.

The copper plant can process around 2.6 million tonnes of copper per annum, while the zinc plant has a capacity of around 1.1 mtpa and is being expanded to a similar 2.5 mtpa capacity.

The mine transports copper and zinc concentrates via rail to a dedicated port facility at Setúbal for export.

In the three-month period to June this year, Neves-Corvo produced 7,867 tonnes of copper and 20,647 tonnes of zinc.
https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/l ... e-options/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 28 août 2022, 16:58

Gros projet de Zinc à développer en Arabie Saoudite : le gisement de Khnaiguiyah

lire : viewtopic.php?p=2348322#p2348322

gisement à 26 millions de tonnes à 3.3% Zn et 0.24% Cu

https://i-mine.co.uk/projects/khnaiguiy ... r-project/

https://www.alararesources.com/irm/cont ... opper.aspx

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 04 sept. 2022, 12:27

Un prospect de Zinc en Finlande pas trop loin de mine déjà existante demande de permis d'exploration :
Avrupa Minerals Submits Kangasjärvi Exploration Permit Application in Pyhäsalmi Mining District, Finland

By NS Energy Staff Writer 29 Aug 2022

Kangasjärvi is located only 25 kilometers south of Finland’s largest base metal mine, the still-active Pyhäsalmi zinc-copper mine

Avrupa Minerals Ltd. (AVU:TSXV) is pleased to announce that it has completed and submitted an application for a new Exploration Permit covering the historic Kangasjärvi zinc mine, potential extensions, and new targets along strike of the favorable mineral-hosting horizon. The application covers approximately 18.4 square kilometers of favorable terrane for copper- and zinc-bearing volcanogenic massive sulfide deposits. This is the Company’s second Exploration Permit application in Finland, subsequent to its acquisition of 49% of AFOy
lire https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/a ... t-finland/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 18 sept. 2022, 12:22

suite de ce post du 20 fevrier 2022 viewtopic.php?p=2337056#p2337056
Commemorating the Start of Construction Activities at the Historic Kipushi Mine

By NS Energy Staff Writer 13 Sep 2022

Production from Kipushi's ultra-high-grade Big Zinc deposit targeted for late 2024, marking one hundred years since the mine first opened

Ivanhoe Mines President Marna Cloete is pleased to announce that Kipushi Corporation SA (KICO), a joint venture between Ivanhoe and DRC state-owned mining company Gécamines, recently hosted a breaking-ground ceremony to commemorate the start of construction of the processing plant at the historic Kipushi zinc-copper-germanium-silver mine. In addition, Ivanhoe signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the provincial government of Haut-Katanga to study options for upgrading the DRC-Zambia border crossing in the town of Kipushi for commercial imports and exports.

The ground-breaking ceremony was attended by His Excellency Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde, Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Her Excellency Adèle Kayinda Mahina, Minister of State and Minister of Portfolio, Her Excellency Antoinette N’Samba Kalambayi, Minister of Mines, members of the provincial government of the Haut-Katanga Province and other national, provincial and local dignitaries, in addition to representatives from Ivanhoe, Gécamines and the town of Kipushi.

The delegation was presented with the development plan for returning the Kipushi mine to production by late 2024 – one hundred years since it was first opened and 30 years since it was placed on care and maintenance.

The ceremony follows the outstanding results of the Kipushi 2022 Feasibility Study, announced in February 2022, as well as the agreement signed between Ivanhoe Mines and Gécamines to bring the Kipushi mine back into production.

The Kipushi 2022 Feasibility Study evaluates the development of an 800,000-tonne-per-annum concentrator and underground mine, producing on average of 240,000 tonnes per annum of zinc contained in concentrate over a 14-year life of mine. The successful commencement of commercial production would establish Kipushi as the world’s highest-grade major zinc mine, with an average head grade of 36.4% zinc over the first five years of production.

Existing, rehabilitated surface and underground infrastructure allow for significantly lower capital costs than comparable development projects. The estimated pre-production capital cost, including contingency, is $382 million. This infrastructure also allows for a relatively short construction timeline of two years, with the principal development activities being the construction of a conventional concentrator facility and supporting infrastructure, together with the restart of mining activities underground.

At a zinc price of $1.40 per pound, the after-tax net present value (NPV) at an 8% real discount rate is $1.4 billion, with an after-tax real internal rate of return (IRR) of 54%. The current spot zinc price is $1.46 per pound.

Life-of-mine average C1 cash costs of $0.65 per pound of zinc are expected to rank Kipushi, once in production, in the second quartile of the cash cost curve for zinc producers globally.

Ordering of long-lead equipment is underway and early construction activities have commenced. Financing and offtake discussions, including a pre-payment facility of $250 million, are well advanced with several interested parties.
https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/i ... ushi-mine/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 02 oct. 2022, 10:45

Un projet de Zinc dont je n' avais pas encore entendu parler :
NorZinc Receives Final Mine Permits for Prairie Creek

By NS Energy Staff Writer 27 Sep 2022
NorZinc is focused on developing its 100%-owned high-grade zinc-silver-lead Prairie Creek Project, located in the Northwest Territories

NorZinc Ltd. is thrilled to announce it has received the new Water License (“WL”) from the Minister of Environment and Natural Resources (“ENR”), Government of the Northwest Territories
(“GNWT”) for mine operations associated with the mine expansion plan of 2,400 tonnes per day (“tpd”), for the Prairie Creek Project (“Prairie Creek” or the “Project”) located in the Northwest Territories, Canada.

Approval of the WL, combined with the receipt of the Land Use Permit (“LUP”) the Company announced on August 11, 2022, completes the permitting process for mining operations at Prairie Creek.

“The receipt of the Water License represents a substantial milestone for the Company with respect the advancement of the Prairie Creek Project and recognition from the GNWT of the significant impact the Project will bring to the region and all stakeholders,” said Rohan Hazelton, President & CEO, NorZinc.

“Based on the Preliminary Economic Assessment completed in October 2021 and the envisioned mining rate of 2,400tpd, the Project results in an NPV8% of US$299M NPV with average EBITDA per annum of US$123M and will deliver over $8 billion in economic activity to the region over its 20-year mine life.”

The Company continues to work closely with the regulatory bodies, Parks Canada and the MVLWB, on the completion and final approval of the management plans (“MPs”) associated with construction of Phase 1 of the All-Season Road. The Company expects to receive all Phase 1 MP approvals from the respective regulators in October 2022.

Source: Company Press Release
https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/news/n ... rie-creek/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Minerais : réserves ,recyclage, et déplétion.

Message par energy_isere » 08 oct. 2022, 11:31

suite de ce post du 9 novembre 2013 viewtopic.php?p=354129#p354129
Burkina Faso : le canadien Trevali veut placer la mine de zinc Perkoa en liquidation judiciaire

Agence Ecofin 8 oct 2022

Entrée en production en 2013, la mine de Perkoa a livré du zinc jusqu’en avril dernier, quand une inondation a provoqué le décès de 8 employés et l’arrêt des opérations. En difficulté financière, son propriétaire n’est pas en mesure de la relancer et a déjà licencié le personnel.

Au Burkina Faso, le tribunal de commerce est appelé à statuer sur la mise en liquidation judiciaire de la mine de zinc de Perkoa. C’est ce qu’a annoncé le 6 octobre le canadien Trevali Mining, propriétaire de l’actif, après avoir soumis une demande en ce sens.

Si elle accepte cette demande, la Cour nommera un liquidateur judiciaire qui s’occupera des affaires courantes de Nantou Mining, la filiale locale de Trevali. Depuis le licenciement de la majorité des employés, ces affaires concernent notamment l’entretien général de la mine et les préparatifs pour une fermeture et une remise en état du site. Une dotation financière est prévue pour cette réhabilitation et serait gérée par le gouvernement burkinabé.

Pour rappel, la mine de Perkoa est entrée en production en 2013 et produisait du zinc jusqu’au 16 avril dernier, date où de fortes pluies ont contribué à une inondation causant la mort de 8 mineurs. Si la compagnie a un temps prévu une remise en service des installations afin de reprendre la production, elle a manqué de liquidités et se trouve actuellement au bord de la faillite.

Perkoa n’est néanmoins pas en fin de vie. La mine hébergeait au 31 décembre 2021 environ 230 millions de livres (plus de 100 000 tonnes) de réserves prouvées et probables en zinc. La stabilisation de la situation politique du pays et l’implication des autorités dans ce dossier pourrait donc permettre de la rouvrir ultérieurement.
https://www.agenceecofin.com/compagnie/ ... judiciaire

Je parie que c'est les Chinois qui vont faire main basse dessus prochainement .......

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 08 oct. 2022, 11:38

Le prix du zinc remonte : des opportunités pour la RDC et l’Afrique du Sud

Agence Ecofin 3 oct 2022

En mars 2022, le cours du zinc a grimpé pour atteindre 4 000 dollars la tonne, soit son plus haut pic depuis 2007. Entre autres raisons expliquant cette hausse, citons la flambée des coûts énergétiques liés au conflit entre la Russie et l’Ukraine qui pousse les fonderies de zinc à fermer.

Sur le London Metal Exchange vendredi 30 septembre, le prix du zinc a augmenté de 1,9 % pour se négocier à 2 986 dollars. Les analystes expliquent ce retour à la hausse par les craintes de nouvelles fermetures de fonderies en raison des coûts élevés de l’électricité en Europe.

Tendance haussière en vue jusqu’à fin 2022 au moins

Pendant que l’offre de zinc est en baisse, le niveau de la demande, notamment celle du secteur automobile, est toujours élevé. Selon Arun Misra (photo), président de l’International Zinc Association, la situation actuelle de l’offre et de la demande de ce métal utilisé pour recouvrir et protéger l’acier ne devrait pas changer à court terme, et les prix devraient rester dans une fourchette de 3 100 à 3 300 dollars la tonne, au moins jusqu’en décembre 2022.

« Il y a une opportunité […]. Les prix qui sont passés de 4 000 dollars la tonne à environ 3 100 dollars la tonne, se raffermissent. Et nous ne serions pas surpris s’ils atteignaient 3 300 dollars par tonne en décembre », a indiqué M. Misra, dans un entretien accordé récemment à Businessline.

L’Afrique peut-elle mieux se positionner sur le marché ?

Si pour le moment l’Afrique ne représente qu’une part marginale de la production mondiale de zinc (3,4 % en 2019), des projets sont en plein développement pour mieux positionner le continent sur le marché. Ce pourcentage pourrait dépasser les 5 % si ces projets se concrétisent.

En RDC par exemple, la Gécamines et Ivanhoe travaillent à relancer Kipushi, une mine historique qui pourrait devenir la plus riche en zinc à travers le monde. Aussi, en Afrique du Sud, Vedanta Resources présente sur le projet Gamsberg, a obtenu en mars 2022 l’autorisation environnementale des autorités du Cap Nord pour installer une fonderie pouvant traiter annuellement jusqu’à 680 000 tonnes de concentré de zinc et livrer 300 000 tonnes de zinc à haute teneur par an.
https://www.agenceecofin.com/metaux/031 ... que-du-sud

Pour la fonderie en Afrique du Sud, info à ponderer avec les délestages électriques à répétition dans le pays .......

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 09 oct. 2022, 11:40

Glencore va suspendre l'activité de la fonderie de zinc de Nordenham en Allemagne pour cause d'énergie trop chère.
Glencore to suspend production at zinc smelter in Germany
The Nordenham zinc refinery will be placed on care and maintenance from 1 November due to soaring power prices.

October 6, 2022

Anglo-Swiss commodity trading and mining company Glencore is planning to put its zinc smelter in Nordenham, Germany, on care and maintenance, as reported by Reuters.

The refinery is planned to be placed on care from 1 November.

It currently has the capacity to produce around 165,000t of zinc and zinc alloys a year.

Reuters quoted Glencore supervisory board chairman Koen Demesmaeker as saying: “The cessation of production is a reaction to various external factors affecting the business and wider European industry.

Demesmaeker added that production would remain on hold until macroeconomic conditions improved.

The decision to suspend production comes due to soaring power prices in the wake of Russia’s military offensive against Ukraine.

The rise in power prices has forced several energy-intensive aluminium and zinc smelters in Europe to close or suspend production, according to Reuters.

Companies have said that more cutbacks are likely as the conflict in Ukraine continues.

Glencore’s announcement caused an increase in the price of benchmark zinc on the London Metal Exchange, which had fallen by 40% after reaching a record high in March.

The company purchased the Nordenham lead smelter by acquiring German lead company Weser-Metall last year.

Weser-Metall had filed for protective shield proceedings in May 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, which had caused metal prices to fall.

Last year, Reuters reported that Glencore’s subsidiary, Portovesme, would place its Italian zinc sulphide operation on care and maintenance due to surging power prices in Europe.

The Portovesme operation has the capacity to produce 100,000t of zinc sulphide a year.
https://www.mining-technology.com/news/ ... lter-care/

Répondre